Whatever your time or talent, UCAP has a volunteer activity that’s right for you!
Here is a brief overview of some of the volunteer opportunities in various programs around our communities through UCAP.
Head Start Program
Volunteers are an important part of the Head Start program. Volunteering provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the life of a child and family.
There are many ways to volunteer for your local Head Start:
- Help in a classroom
- Read to the children
- Share a special talent such as music, couponing, gardening
- Donate funds or items of need for our program such as books, paper, etc.
- Be an expert visitor
- General cleaning
- Assist on walking study trips
- Help with kitchen duties
- Building and playground maintenance and repair.
- Help teachers prepare materials
- Help children put on winter gear
- Teach a small group
Volunteer from Home:
- Help prepare materials for the classroom
- Laundry (washing dress up clothes/blankets)
- Work on At-Home activities with your child
Our food shelves provide food to people in need who are given an amount of food based on their family size.
UCAP has food shelves in four locations with many ways volunteers can help:
- Stock shelves
- Help customers to choose their food and load into carts or cars
- Rescue quality vegetables and fruits from local farms and markets
- Pitch in at food drives and other special events throughout the year
- Organize a food or cash drive
VITA Tax Clinics
UCAP offers Volunteer Income Tax Service (VITA) and has helped eligible people in our local community get over 4.1 million dollars of tax refunds with over 1900 completed tax returns. Criminal background checks are done for all tax program volunteers.
Volunteer roles include:
- Tax Site Assistant: Provide customer support and service for taxpayers. Help taxpayers finish any paperwork and make copies of documents. The assistant would work closely with the tax site manager to keep the multi-step process running smoothly.
- Tax Preparer: Work one-on-one with customers to prepare state and federal tax returns.Tax preparers are required to attend on site training and complete testing as required by the IRS in order to be certified prior to volunteering.
- Reviewer: Provide thorough on-site checks of all tax returns prepared by UCAP’s volunteer tax preparers to ensure they are accurate and complete. The reviewer will work cooperatively with staff and provide support and leadership to other volunteers. Reviewers are required to attend on site training and complete testing as required by the IRS in order to be certified prior to volunteering.
- Tax Site Greeter: Greets customers and answers basic questions.
The proceeds from the Thrift Shops Sales help your local UCAP communities in Southeast Minnesota. Our thrift shops are located in Litchfield and Redwood Falls.
- Decorate the store.
- Price items and place them on the sales floor
- Pick up and prepare donations
- Light cleaning
- Clerical support for Thrift Store Coordinator
Community projects are happening year round in various communities throughout the UCAP area. Reach out to us if any of these interest you!
- Holiday Projects – Holiday Toy handout
- Back to School supply drives
- Winter coat handouts
- Homeless shelter cleaning
- Hygiene pack and emergency food packaging
- Kettle ringing
Volunteer drivers provide rides for older adults and other non-drivers, giving them access to healthcare and other essential community services and products.
Our Big Buddy mentors can make a difference in a child’s life with as little as 2-4 hours a month, or more. Mentors and youth relationships typically last one year, though some of our mentor relationships have turned into long lasting friendships.
Reach out to UCAP Today to Volunteer!
Have questions about any of the volunteer opportunities above? Reach out to our main UCAP office!
Want to Donate instead of Volunteer?
No time to volunteer but still want to help? Consider making a monetary donation to UCAP. We are a 501(c)3 charitable organization and all donations are tax deductible. We welcome one-time gifts, monthly donations, or annual contributions. Your donation will help your local community right here in southwestern Minnesota!