RESPONSIBILITIES: To provide a comprehensive Head Start experience that meets the requirements of the Head Start Performance Standards. To integrate component activities within the classroom. To empower parents and staff as team members in a comprehensive approach to child development and self-sufficiency.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Travel between multiple, assigned classrooms to work with the Teacher to plan, prepare, and conduct center.
- Assure children’s individual needs and differences are met.
- Plan and implement learning experiences that advance the intellectual, emotional and physical development of children.
- Give classroom staff breaks outside the classroom for planning, prep, and documentation.
- Observe and document children’s progress and base individualized planning on the goal of improving school readiness.
- Complete record keeping, communication, case notes, and other documentation.
- Work as a team member within the classroom and maintain professionalism.
- Develop and maintain a Professional Development Plan with the Coach/Mentor.
- Facilitate the transition of Head Start children to the next educational facility.
- Coordinate and integrate nutrition and health activities into the classroom.
- Assist with grantee efforts in recruitment of Head Start children.
- Support and Model United’s Behavioral Competencies.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A current Infant Toddler Child Development Associate (CDA) or an Early Childhood Degree
- CPR and First Aid certification or willingness to obtain.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Flexibility to move from one classroom to another and meet the needs of the room and individual children.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated interpersonal skills.
- Computer/keyboarding skills required.
- Ability to work as part of a team, provide team leadership, and supervise on-site staff.
- Understanding and respect for cultural diversity and participant’s right to make their own decisions.
- Demonstrated skills in problem-solving and conflict resolution strategies.
- Ability to travel regularly to classroom locations, meetings, workshops and conferences.
- Reliable mode of transportation.
- Reliable, regular attendance.
- Knowledge and understanding of child development, integration of services and of issues faced by low-income people.
- Must have satisfactory completion of background check.
- Must have satisfactory completion of medical exam and health screenings as requested per Head Start regulations along with completion of COVID-19 Vaccination.
Please refer to Job #0622E when applying.